Change or Correct a Passport

Correct Passport

Sometimes, no matter how carefully people are, people make mistakes, even the US State Department can commit a mistake in your printed passport. You can have a “passport re-application” and they will correct your passport without a fee.

Temporary passport holders that have a one year validity may apply for this process to upgrade their passports to the full-validity passport which is good for 10 years. This is often given to applicant who lost or have stolen passports replaced by a US Embassy overseas.

Passport Change or Correction (Re-Application) Eligibility

An applicant is eligible for a passport correction with no fee if the issued passport has printing errors such as an incorrect date of birth or a misspelled name.

A 10 year full-validity can be granted with no government fee to an applicant who has a current temporary passport that is only valid for 1 year or less and was issued due to an emergency such as traveling back home because of a stolen or lost overseas.

How to Apply for Changes in a Passport or Corrections to a Passport

Gather all required documents

Correct Passport

  • Passport photo different from the photo of the passport you are changing or correcting
  • For expedited passport application, flight itinerary with date of departure is required
  • For corrections, submit a proof that there was a mistake in printing of information, bring your birth certificate in original or certified form
  • To change the validity of your passport, present all the documents listed in the letter given by the US Embassy or the State Department and the letter itself containing the information that you are eligible to have a full-validity passport

Have your passport change or correction processed in one of the following ways:

  • Via Mail – passport change or correction can be mailed to the National Passport Center for processing. There are no government fees to be paid and will be received by the applicant after 8 weeks.
  • Via Passport Agency – for expedited passport corrections, visit a Passport Agency in person and pay additional $60 for the expedited service who will process your application for 2-3 weeks.
  • Via Passport Expediting Company – this is the most convenient and fastest way to get a correction in your passport, they will personally bring your application to a Passport Agency in your behalf.

How Long Does it Take to Change or Correct a Passport

It can take up to 8 weeks for the standard regular passport process by mail but only 2-3 weeks for expedited passport name change with an extra charge of $60.

For a faster process in you application for correction, you can choose to personally process it at a  Passport Agency or have it done by a passport expediting company who can process it for as fast as 24 hours only.

A passport expediting company is the most convenient and fastest in  processing your corrected passport. There are 26 offices in the country that have Passport Agencies including Main Post offices and Court Offices but you have to call the National Passport Information Center at 877-487-2778 for an appointment.