DS-11 Application Form for Child Passport

Child Passport

The government form you need to complete when applying for a US passport for a child under age 16 is known as the DS-11.  This is a similar form that is used for new US passports for adults.  The DS-11 is a two page form with a space for the photo and signatures on the first page.  When you complete this form for a child passport, you should include the following information:

  • Your child’s legal name, as recorded on the birth certificate
  • Your child’s height, hair color, and eye color
  • Your residential address
  • Your child’s Social Security Number
  • No less than one contact number – home or cell phone number
  • The name and address of somebody who can be contacted in case of emergency, who is not traveling with the child.
  • Both parents’ full names, birth dates, and places of birth
  • The number and date of your child’s previous passport, if any

Child PassportIf one parent and legal guardian is not able to appear with the child at the Passport Acceptance Facility, the parent who can’t attend must complete a Form DS-3053, “Statement of Consent”.  This is required to prove that both parents wish for the child to be issued a passport.  Form DS-3053 must have an original ink signature and must be notarized.

Document Checklist – Requirement for DS-11 Application Form for a Minor Passport

  • New Passport Application Form (DS-11) filled out online at pptform.state.gov. The child passport application form is similar one that is used by adults who need to get a passport.
  • One passport picture
  • Proof of US Citizenship (birth certificate) – This must be an original or certified copy of a “long form” birth certificate showing both parents’ names.
  • Photocopy of both parents’ passports, driver’s licenses or other state-issued ID (front and back)
  • Flight itinerary or other verification of travel plans (only required if you need to rush a child passport)
  • Minor travel fee – a check for $80 ($140 if you need expedited for your child’s passport) payable to “US Department of State”.
  • Past minor US passport, if any
  • Notarized “Statement of Consent” form (DS-3053) – if one parent is not able to go to the Passport Acceptance Agent, this form is not needed.

How to Get a Minor Passport fast

Processing time for child US passport applications are:

  • Expedited service from a registered passport expediting company: as much as 24 hours
  • Expedited service at a US Passport Agency: 8 business days
  • Expedited service by mail: 2-3 weeks
  • Standard service by mail: 6-8 weeks