Form DS-11 & Statement of Mutilated Passport: Applications for Damaged Passport

Damaged Passport

The government form one must complete when applying to replace a  damaged passport is the DS-11.  This is a similar form that first time applicants accomplish to acquire a passport.  This is a two page form with a space for your photo and signature on the first page.  When you finish this application to replace a damaged passport, you should include the following information:

  • Your legal name, as recorded on your birth certificate or legal name change document
  • Your height, hair color, and eye color
  • Your home address
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Your parents’ full name, birth dates, and places of birth
  • The number and date of issue of the damaged passport
  • No less than one contact number – home, work, or mobile number
  • The name and address of somebody who can be contacted if there are emergencies

Take Note: If you are requesting for an early passport renewal because of minor damage or wear on your passport, you should fill out Form DS-82.  See our Passport Renewal Application page for details.

Document Checklist – Requirement for DS-11 Application Form for a Damaged Passport

  • Passport Application Form (DS-11)
  • One new passport photo
  • Photocopy of your driver’s license of other state-issued ID (front and back)
  • Verification of US Citizenship – This can be either a birth certificate (must be original or certified copy) or an expired passport. Please take note that if your appearance has changed, a terminated passport may not be acknowledged as evidence of citizenship
  • A letter addressed to “US Department of State” that clarifies how your passport was damaged. This letter must have your signature in blue or black ink. This is called the Statement for a Mutilated Passport.
  • Flight itinerary or other verification of travel plans (only required if you have to expedite damaged passport replacement)
  • Damaged passport fee – Two checks required, one payable to “US Department of State” for $110 ($170 if you need expedited service for passport renewal replacement) and a second check for $35 for the Passport Acceptance Agent fee.

How to Replace a Damaged Passport Fast

Processing times for passport replacement applications are:

  • Expedited service via mail: 2-3 weeks
  • Expedited service from a registered passport expediting company: as quickly as a 24 hours processing
  • Expedited service at a US Passport Agency: 8 business days
  • Standard service via mail: 6-8 weeks