The government form one must accomplish when applying to replace his damaged passport is the DS-11. This is a similar form that first time applicants accomplish to acquire a passport. This is a two page form with a space for your photo and signature on the first page. When you finish this application to replace a damaged passport, you should include the following information:
- Your legal name, as recorded on your birth certificate or legal name change document
- Your height, hair color, and eye color
- Your home address
- Your Social Security Number
- Your parents’ full name, birth dates, and places of birth
- The number and date of issue of the damaged passport
- No less than one contact number – home, work, or mobile number
- The name and address of somebody who can be contacted if there are emergencies
Take Note: If you are requesting for an early passport renewal because of minor damage or wear on your passport, you should fill out Form DS-82. See our Passport Renewal Application page for details.
Document Checklist – Requirement for DS-11 Application Form for a Damaged Passport
- Passport Application Form (DS-11)
- One new passport photo
- Photocopy of your driver’s license of other state-issued ID (front and back)
- Verification of US Citizenship – This can be either a birth certificate (must be original or certified copy) or an expired passport. Please take note that if your appearance has changed, a terminated passport may not be acknowledged as evidence of citizenship
- A letter addressed to “US Department of State” that clarifies how your passport was damaged. This letter must have your signature in blue or black ink.
- Flight itinerary or other verification of travel plans (only required if you have to expedite damaged passport replacement)
- Damaged passport fee – Two checks required, one payable to “US Department of State” for $110 ($170 if you need expedited service for passport renewal replacement) and a second check for $25 for the Passport Acceptance Agent fee.
How to Replace a Damaged Passport Fast
Processing times for passport replacement applications are:
- Expedited service via mail: 2-3 weeks
- Expedited service from a registered passport expediting company: within 24 hours
- Expedited service at a US Passport Agency: 8 business days
- Standard service via mail: 6-8 weeks
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.