Lost passports can be replaced; first make sure it is lost, not misplaced, to save you the hassle of application. For cases wherein you already reported it to in lost and is already on the process of replacement, it is no longer valid because it has been canceled for travel. If you did not submit a DS-64 online or by hand it’s imperative you search everywhere for your passport to prevent a case of identity theft. A lost passport can be very stressful especially if an international trip is coming near.
Not to worry! Here is a comprehensive guide on how to replace a lost passport
Eligibility – Lost Passport
A lost passport can be replaced once you have proven you US citizenship. Also helpful if you know your passport number, date of issuance of the passport and the expiry date of the lost passport. (It is recommended to always have a photocopy of your current passport)
Guide to Replace Lost Passport
- Prepare all requirements
- Proof of US Citizenship (original or certifies long form copy of birth certificate)
- Application Form DS-11 , completely filled out at https://pptform.state.gov/and printed.
- DS-64 Passport Form “Statement regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport” – this will be created automatically when you fill out the form at https://pptform.state.gov/.
- One passport photo
- Front and back photocopy of driver’s license or any state-issued ID
- Proof of travel plans (for expedite new passport application)
- Replacement Fee for Lost Passport
- Agent for Passport Acceptance
A Passport Acceptance Agent should have your application sealed in an envelope officially, you can find one at main branch US Post Offices as well as at offices of Clerk of the Court.
- Your passport replacement application should be processed in one of the three ways:
Via mail – your envelope will be sent already by the Passport Acceptance Agent to the National Passport Center for processing.
Through a Passport Agency – for expedite new passport, major US cities have passport agencies where replacement passport can be processed on the site.
Through a Passport Expediting Company – a replacement for a lost passport can be processed by a passport expediting company for faster process. They will personally bring your application to the Passport Agency in your behalf.
How to Get a Replacement Passport Fast
Application for a replacement passport via mail can take up to 8 weeks, 2-3 weeks for expedited lost passport service by mail is available with an additional $60 government fee. A Passport Agency or a passport expediting company can get your replacement passport as fast as 24 hours.
26 major US cities have Passport Agencies but you have to call the National Passport Information Center at 877-487-2778 for an appointment. A passport expediting company will make your replacement application faster and easier.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.