The government form you should complete when applying for US passport renewal is known as the DS-82 passport renewal application. The DS-82 has a section for your picture and signature on the first page. When you finish the DS-82 application form for a passport renewal, you should include the following information:
- Your legal name, as listed on your current or legal change document
- Your Social Security Number
- Your height, hair color, eye color
- Your home address
- The name and address of somebody who can be of contact in emergency cases
- No less than one contact number – home, work, or cell phone number
- The number and issue date of the passport you are renewing
- Any other legal names you might have used, for example, maiden names or previous married names
Document Checklist – Requirements for Passport Renewal Application Form DS-82
- Your current US passport
- One passport picture
- Photocopy of any state-issued ID (front and back)
- Flight itinerary of other verification of travel plans (only required if you need an expedited passport renewal)
- Passport Renewal Application Form (DS-82) filled out online https://pptform.state.gov/ , printed and signed
- Passport renewal fee – check for $110 ($170 if you need to be expedited passport renewal) payable to “US Department of State.
- Proof of name change, if you have legally changed your name since your last passport was issued.
How to Process Your Passport Renewal Application With The Post Office
The option to process your passport renewal with the post office or considered an application mail in can be done at your local post office or acceptance agent. You simply locate your nearest post office and bring the required documents with you. Once you get to the passport acceptance window. The passport agent will review your passport renewal documents and ship your application off to the National Passport Center for processing. You will have two options for passport processing. You can select routine or expedited processing.
How to Get a Passport Renewal Fast
Processing times for passport renewal applications are: