Proof of Identity


To successfully apply for a US Passport, you have to present a valid identification, this is still required even when you are just renewing your passport and your name has changed since your previous passport. This is a safety measure of the government to prevent identity theft.

Primary Identification

Primary identification documents must be valid and issued no more than six months from your date of application. Accepted primary identifications documents are as follows:

  • Driver’s license issued by the state
  • Official identification card issued by the municipality, state or the Federally Recognized Native American Tribe
  • Military ID containing photo

Secondary Identification

If in case you do not have any of the following primary documents aforementioned or your identification is expired or was issued for more than 6 months, you will need to present 5 secondary identification documents. You may submit any combination of the items listed but documents that contain your photograph are preferred.

  • Expired, new, state-issued driver’s card
  • Social Security Card (copy)
  • Expired or passports issued by other countries
  • Student ID card with photo
  • Welfare card
  • Health insurance or Medicare card
  • Voter ID card
  • Employment ID card
  • Professional license (such as nurse, beautician, mechanic, etc.)
  • Flight Crew ID card
  • Union membership card
  • Military records
  • Selective Service registration
  • Diploma or school transcript
  • School yearbook with name and photo
  • Marriage certificate or divorce decree
  • Your child’s birth certificate showing your name as parent
  • Baptismal certificate or other religious records
  • Copy of your mortgage, lease, or rental agreement
  • Copies of banking or credit card records for the past year (account numbers may be blacked out for privacy)
  • Vehicle registration, title, or proof of car insurance
  • Copies of utility bills for the past year
  • Income tax records or W-2 (more than one year’s worth)
  • Newspaper articles or publicity items with your name and photo